- Neutrino oscillations
- Underground radon gas
- Heavy ion reactions
- Nuclear matter
- Nuclear pasta
- Neutron star crusts
- Neutron-rich matter
- Nuclear equation of state
- Nuclear symmetry energy
- Alan Salcedo, BS, 2016-present
- Israel Chavarría, BS, 2016-2017
- Karla Rosita Tellez Girón, MS, 2015-2017
- Germán Rodríguez, MS.2015-2017
- Enrique Ramírez-Homs, BS, 2011-2014, MS 2015-2017
- Rodolfo I. González, BS, 2012-2014
- Alejandra Robles, High School student, 2013
Demetrio Corralez, BS, 2012
Juan García, BS, 2009 to 2010
Jorge Muñoz, BS, 2006 to 2008
- Rodrigo Gamboa Goñi, MS, 2006-2007
Alán Dávila, BS, 2002 to 2006
Armando Barrañon, MS, 2003-2005
Christian Escudero, BS, MS, 2000 to 2005
Manuel A. Ramos, BS, 2002-2003
Jesús Escamilla Roa, MS, 2001-2003
Mario F. Borunda, BS, 1997 to 2003
Rafael Cárdenas, MS, 2000-2002
Martha Navarro, BS, 1998 to 2001
Xiaofang Mu, MS, 1996-1998
Jaime Morales, BS, 1995 to 1998
Xiaoyu Wang, MS, 1994-1996
Tim Robinson, MS, 1994-1996
Raul Medellin, BS, 1994 to 1996
Alfredo Aranda, BS, 1993 to 1996
- Ganesh Thondikulam, MS, 1993-1995
Mario Borunda Escobedo, (Ph.D.) 1992 to 1994
Past and present collaborators
- Dr. Sergio Terrazas, Universidad Autónoma de Cd. Juárez, 2015-date
- Dr. Jesús Escamilla, Universidad Autónoma de Hidalgo, 2015-date
- Dr. Ramon Ravelo, Professor, UTEP, 2013.
- Dr. Claudio Dorso, Professor, University of Buenos Aires, 2011-2013, 2017 - date
- "Symmetry energy in the liquid-gas mixture", J.A. López and S. Terrazas Porras, Nuc. Phys. A (2016); see article here.
- "Correlation Between Underground Radon Gas and Dormant Geological Faults", J.A. López, O. Dena Ornelas , L. Sajo-Bohus, G. Rodríguez, I. Chavarría, J. Nuc. Phys., Mat.Sci., Rad. and Applications, Vol-4, No-1, 265–275 (2016); see article here.
- "Thermodynamics of neutron-rich nuclear matter", J.A. López, S. Terrazas Porras and Araceli Rodríguez Gutiérrez, AIP Conf. Proc. 1753, 050001 (2016); see article here.
"Simulations of cold matter at subsaturation densities", P.A. Giménez-Molinelli, J.I. Nichols, J.A. López and C.O. Dorso, Nuc. Phys. A, 923, Pp. 31-50, 2014.
- "Topological characterization of neutron star crusts", C.O. Dorso, P. Giménez-Molinelli and J.A. López, The Physical Review C86 055805 (2012). Downloadpreprint in the Arxivs.
- "From nuclei to nuclear pasta", C.O. Dorso, P.A. Gíménez-Molinelli and J.A. López, in "Neutron Star Crust", Eds. C.A. Bertulani and J. Piekarewicz, 2012 Nova Science Publishers, Inc.See preprint here.
- "Isoscaling and the nuclear EOS", C.A. Dorso, P.A. Giménez-Molinelli and J.A. López, J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 38 (2011) 115101.
- "Searching for the origin of isoscaling: confinement and expansion", C.A. Dorso, P.A. Giménez-Molinelli and J.A. López, Rev. Mex. Fis. S57 (1) 14–17, 2011.
- "Probabilistic aspects of isoscaling", J.A. López, J.A. Muñoz and C.O. Dorso, Rev. Mex. Fis. S56, 85-88, 2010.
FY17 High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP) and Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP) through the Army Research Office for $6,000, for period 5/2017 - 8/2017.
- DOD HBCU Instrumentation grant for $400 k, for period 9/2016-8/2017. See notification here.
- BUILDing Summer Sabbatical, for period May 31 - Aug. 5, 2016, Arizona State University with Ricardo Alarcón.
- "Isospin Diffusion", PI: J. López, DOE Visiting Faculty Program. Approx. $20,000, Pending, for the period 6/3/2014 to 8/9/2014 for J. Lopez and BS student Rodolfo I. Gonzalez.
Travel Grant from the American Physical Society for Rodolfo I. Gonzalez to present a poster at the 2013 Conference Experience for Undergraduates in Newport News, Va in conjunction with the fall meeting of the Division of Nuclear Physics of the American Physical Society, 23-26 October 2013.
- "Classical aspects of the symmetry energy", PI: J. López, DOE Visiting Faculty Program. Approx. $20,000, awarded for the period 6/3/2013 to 8/9/2013 for J. Lopez and BS student Rodolfo I. Gonzalez.
- "Nuclear matter at low temperatures", PI: J. López, DOE Visiting Faculty Program. Approx. $15,000, awarded for the period 6/2/2012 to 8/10/2012.
- Travel Grant for Enrique Ramirez-Homs to attend the International Neutron Scattering Instrumentation School (INSIS), Rome Italy, Jul. 15-27, 2012. http://neutrons.ornl.gov/conf/insis2012/.
- "Isospin dependence of the nuclear equation of state", PI: J. López, National Science Foundation, $186,000, Awarded for period 8/1/2011-7/30/2014.
Nuclear Physics Group Activities
- June 4 - Aug 12, Alan Salcedo Gomez attended the MIT Summer Research Program, at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. See UTEP's news report here, and Juarez El Diario Newspaper report here.
- May 14-20, Alan Salcedo Gomez attended the Nuclear Science Summer School NS3, at the Michigan State University. See UTEP's news report here, and Juarez El Diario Newspaper report here.
- Dec. 12-17: Karla Rosita Téllez Girón Flores attended the Winter School on Nuclear Astrophysics in Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China, and delivered a Talk “Neutrino Oscillations and the Reactor Experiment of Neutrino Oscillations experiment.”
- Aug. 16-17: Talk "Materials Characterization at UTEP" at " 4° Taller de Espectrometría de Masas con Aceleradores (LEMA)" at the Instituto de Física of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. See pictures of the visit here.
- Summer: Israel Chavarria attended the Fermi Lab REU, see final report here.
- May 31 - Aug. 5, Visiting Arizona State University with Ricardo Alarcón under a BUILDing Summer Sabbatical Grant.
- April 16-18, Talk and chair of session, APS April Meeting, Salt Lake City. See abstract and presentation here, and see details of the session chaired here.
- April 7, Talk "The Physics of CSI", Facultad de Física, Benemérita Universidad de Puebla, Puebla, México. See "CONSTANCIA" here.
- April 6 - 8, XII International Symposium on Radiation Physics, BUAP, Puebla, México. See web page here.
- Feb. 15, Talk "Física nuclear, el Chapo, Osama Bin Laden, y el Papa" at the Tercera Semana de Física y Matemáticas in Universidad de Colima; see news report here.
- Nov. 30 - Dec. 4, Talks "Isospin-dependent phase diagram of nuclear matter" and "Summary Talk", at the XI Latin American Symposium on Nuclear Physics and Applications, Medellin Colombia; see pictures here.
- Apr. 11-13: Talk at the APS April Meeting in Baltimore, to receive the 2015 Bouchet Award of the American Physical Society. See APS news release "Bridge-builder to Hispanic Community wins Bouchet Award" here, see pictures of the Awards Ceremony and Reception as well as of Baltimore here.
- Oct. 24: Talk "Estrellas de neutrones" at the 21st Science and technology Week in La Rodadora in Cd. Juárez, Mexico; see announcement here.
- Oct. 7-11: Talk at the IV Joint Japan-USA Nuclear Physics Conference in Kona, Hawaii to receive the 2014 Mentoring Award of the Division of Nuclear Physics of the American Physical Society; see pictures here.
Aug. 15 - 18: Attending conference 4th International workshop on nuclear dynamics in heavy ion reactions in Lanzhou, China.
- July 16: "Neutron-Rich nuclear matter" colloquium talk at Nuclear Theory Group of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Click here to see abstract.
Summer 2017 students Gicela Saucedo (UTEP) and Víctor Lizarraga (Culiacán, México), investigators of the nuclear pasta and neutron difussion.
- Dec. 9-12: Talk by J.A. López at JUSTIPEN-JUSEIPEN Workshop in RIKEN in Tokyo, Japan. JUSTIPEN is The Japan-U.S. Theory Institute for Physics with Exotic Nuclei.
- Oct. 23-26: Poster presentation by B.S. student Rodolfo I. Gonzalez at the 2013 Conference Experience for Undergraduates in Newport News, Va in conjunction with the fall meeting of the Division of Nuclear Physics of the American Physical Society.
- Sep. 27: Invited Talk by J.A. López "Cold nuclear matter" in Symposium on Low Temperature Physics at UACJ, in Cd. Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico.
- Nov. 29, Article Spotlight, the article "Topological characterization of neutron star crusts was selected to appear in Physics-Spotlighting Exceptional research: Italian Delicacies Served Up in a Neutron Star Crust, Physics, Nov. 29, 2012.
- Aug. 7: Invited Talk by J.A. López "Nuclear matter at low temperatures and densities: the pasta revisited" in Nuclear Physics Forum at the Lawrence Berkeley Lab's 88-inch Cyclotron.
- Aug. 5: J.A. López, Member of Organizing Committee of Latin American Symposium of Nuclear Physics and Applications, held in Dec. 2013 in Montevideo, Uruguay.
Jul. 15-27, Enrique Ramirez-Homs participated in the International Neutron Scattering Instrumentation School (INSIS), Rome Italy, Jul. 15-27, 2012. http://neutrons.ornl.gov/conf/insis2012/.
- Jun. 3 - Aug. 9: Visiting the Nuclear Theory group of the Nuclear Science Division of The Lawrence Berkeley Lab, J.A. López with UG students Enrique Ramirez Homs and Rodolfo Gonzalez. See here for article about our participation in the LBL-NSD newsletter (p.4).
- May 24: Colloquium by J.A. López "Nuclear matter cooked Italian style", Institute of Nuclear Sciences, UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico.
Jan. 26: Most Outstanding Award earned by High School student Alejandra Robles, member of the research group in the El Paso Independent School District Science Fair.
- Jun. 4 - Aug. 10: Visiting the Nuclear Theory group of the Nuclear Science Division of The Lawrence Berkeley Lab, J.A. López with student Enrique Ramirez-Homs and collaborator Dr. Claudio Dorso (U Buenos Aires).
- Apr. 12: J.A. López inducted as a Corresponding Member of the Mexican Academy of Sciences, delivered an Invited Talk "Nuclear liquid-gas phase change, what have we learned?" at IFUNAM in Mexico City.
- Mar. 22-24: J.A. López delivered a Seminar Talk "From nuclei to Nuclear Pasta in ... Stars!" at the Physics Department of Bradley University in Peoria Illinois, visiting Jose Lozano.
- Dec. 1-6: J.A. López Visiting Universidad de Colima, seminar talk "Nuclear Pasta".
- Oct. 28: J.A. López selected as Educator of the Year and delivered an Invited Talk, 2011 Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers National Conference, Anaheim, CA. See SHPE Award information here, UTEP Press release here, and Channel 9 report here.
- Oct. 27-28: Invited Talk by J.A. López "Neutron-rich nuclear physics", 2011 Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans National Conference, San Jose, CA, see program here.
- Oct. 3-30: Guest Dr. Claudio Dorso, Universidad de Buenos Aires.
- Sep. 21-24: Invited Talk by J.A. López "Neutron-rich nuclear physics", 2011 National Society of Hispanic Physicists National Conference, Austin, TX.
- Sep. 19: Interview of J.A. López about nuclear waste repository in Carlsbad NM, "Estudiarán alemanes basurero nuclear...", El Diario de El Paso, El Paso, TX.
- Nov. 2: Guest Dr. Carlos Bertulani, Texas A&M University - Commerce.
- Oct. 1: Award:Bravo Outstanding MAEStro Award, at MAES National Conference in Anaheim, CA.
- Aug. 1-13: Talk and participation in PASI 2010 on Rare Isotopes, Joao Pessoa, Brazil. See PASI wiki page here, my personal page here, and the Neutron Stars page here, to see how hard we worked see the photos here, to see my talk see the high quality video here, or thelow quality video here.
- Oct. 23: Hyer Award to J.A. Muñoz and J.A. López from the Texas Section of the American Physical Society in San Marcos, TX. for Research with undergraduate student "Probabilistic aspects of isoscaling". See information here.